Sunday, January 31, 2010

Three days!

I made it three days without responding to "my addiction". I've been reading Overeaters Anonymous (OA) blogs and two of their books, and this fits me to a t.
I admit I have a problem that a diet or restrictive plans can't solve, and that any amount of will power can help. I pride myself on having very strong ability to meet the majority of my goals in life and many of them have been long term that require a lot of work and dedication. Which is why not being able to lose/maintain weight has really hurt my self-esteem because I feel like I keep letting myself down.
Based on what I understand about OA so far is that the first step is to admit I have a problem and surrender my power over that.
I really like what OA is saying and it makes sense to me like nothing else does.
After reflection on this, I ready to say that yes, I do have a problem with compulsive overeating and food is my addiction. I want to break free of the obsession with food, calories, body image, counting calories... I want to be addiction free. And not feel like I'm "bad" or "good" depending on what I eat that day.
I have a food plan that I will stick to and indulging in "treats" or unexpected food is a slip off the wagon and feeding the addiction. I realize all addictions are two steps forward and one step back and I accept there is a cycle and I'm going to slip up at some point. It's part of the process.
I had 3 days "sober" and yesterday a.m. because of a scheduling nightmare and a migraine, I bought a box of smarties and ate it. This time, I didn't feel like a "bad" person and learnt from it that those situations are my triggers and need to watch out for them. The rest of the day I stuck to my food plan and success in a social situation with the bar and food I stuck with the plan.
Goal is to attend an OA meeting soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment